Saturday, January 17, 2009

I love sleep.

I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?
Ernest Hemingway


Mr. Hemingway speaks the truth as usual in this quote. I love sleep. I love sleep in a way I never have before in my life. Sure the children are grown and I am allowed to sleep longer and lazier than ever. But the real essence of my sleep is not the rest, the respite, the dreaming but the fact that the sleep I sleep now is the sleep of a chronic illness. Sometimes I power sleep. For days. I have been known to sleep eighteen hours in a day.

I have a rare condition called Addison’s Disease, which means that a tiny gland called the adrenal gland doesn’t work. A small thing barely the size of a walnut, so say the medical journals. But this small thing impacts every part of my daily life, from sleep, ability to eat, and my general sense of well - being. How to explain to a doctor that I just don’t feel “right”. They look at me side ways. I tell them some days I cannot get out of bed and they say why? At first I thought I had chronic fatigue. But after I had an Addison’s Crisis and my kidneys failed, and then my heart decided to have cardiac arrest under the strain of nothing else working, I was then diagnosed with Addison’s Disease.

This small gland that exists in all of our bodies doesn’t work in mine, and thus on some days I sleep and sleep and sleep. Especially I if I had a day prior that forced some exertion. Sleep now is different than before, it is vivid and wrought with dreams, often violent and frightening dreams. Perhaps dreams that are trying to warn me to get up and take my medication.

I will write more about my illness no doubt, but right now I am going back to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment