Sunday, January 11, 2009

How long pray will you abuse my patience



How long pray will you abuse my patience
, a quote from the Roman orator and lawyer Cicero's first oration against Cataline. The actual quote translates more or less as How long pray will you take advantage of my patience? A quote that is in many ways not unlike that famous Roundtable writer of the 1930's, Mrs. Dorothy Parker's famous, "What fresh Hell is this"? A quip she is said to have uttered when her doorbell rang. Probably during cocktail hour, and if history is accurate the writers of the Algonquin Roundtable are said to have made cocktail hour last all day. And night. "What Fresh Hell is This" is a feeling that arises for me whenever my boyfriend's mother rings us on the telephone. For dramatic effect she prefers to do this at 8 am. A time when I sleep soundly.  Mrs Parker, I know how ya feel I say as I reach for a dirty martini (in my imagination) because hey, 8 am is too early for that particular cocktail, but not too early for a Bloody Mary perhaps? Does the rate of alcoholism rise when we are in relationships? I must search the Internet today for that particular factoid. For relationship advice however we must not turn to our Roman orator Cicero, because of him, we do know that he married and divorced Publilia all in the same year, 46 BC.

No comments:

Post a Comment